Traveling to the Visayas region of the Philippines will never be complete without traveling to Cebu and Lapu-Lapu City. Cebu has so many historical sites and tourists' attractions that would totally attract a lot of tourists and locals alike. While in Lapu-Lapu City, there may be some sites that are rich with history, but most of them are world class resorts, Lapu-Lapu City was even named as the Historial Resort City with all the resorts and historical sites.
Places included on your twin city tour:
- Lapu-Lapu Shrine – Located at Engaño, Lapu-Lapu City, the Lapu-Lapu shrine is a (66 ft) bronze statue built in honor of Lapu-Lapu, a native leader who defeated Spanish soldiers, led by the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan, in the 1521 Battle of Mactan.
- Alegre Guitar Factory – Alegre Guitars is the most famous Guitar Factory in Pajac-Maribago Rd, Lapu-Lapu, and is owned and managed by Fernando M. Alegre. Alegre’s quality guitars are made of indigenous materials, from the specific type of wood used through to the shell ornaments and inlays, which make each one a unique instrument.
- Basilica del Santo Niño – Commonly known as Santo Niño Church, Basilica del Santo Niño is a minor basilica in Cebu City Philippines that was founded in 1565. It is the oldest Roman Catholic Church established in the country, and was built on the spot where the image of the Santo Niño de Cebú, a statue depicting the Child Jesus, was found by Spanish explorers, led by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, in 1655
- Magellan’s Cross – Magellan's Cross is a Christian cross erected by Portuguese and Spanish explorers, as direct by Ferdinand Magellan upon arriving in Cebu in the Philippines on April 15 1521. This cross is housed in a chapel next to the Basilica Minore del Santo Niño on Magallanes Street, just in front of the city center of Cebu City. The Cross itself, is preserved within a glass case.
- Taoist Temple – Built in 1972, the Cebu Taoist Temple is located in the Beverly Hills Subdivision in Cebu City, Philippines. The temple was built by Cebu's substantial Chinese community. With an elevation of 300 metres (980 ft) above sea level, the temple is a towering, multi-tiered, multi-hued attraction accessible by three separate winding routes.
- Fort San Pedro – It is a military defense structure built by the Spanish under the command of Miguel López de Legazpi, first governor of the Captaincy General of the Philippines. It is located in the area now called Plaza Indepedencia, in the pier area of the city.
- Heritage of Cebu Monument – is a tableau of sculptures made of concrete, bronze, brass and steel showing scenes about events and structures related to the history of Cebu. The construction of the monument began in July 1997 and it was finished in December 2000.
- Yap San Diego Ancestral House – The Yap-San Diego Ancestral House in Parian, Cebu City is said to be the first Chinese house built outside of China. It was built during the country’s Spanish colonial era where the Chinese were required to live in the Parians of a city. The ancestral house is constructed out of coral stones and wood. It was built sometime between 1675 and 1700 and was originally owned by a Chinese merchant named Don Juan Yap together with his wife, Doña Maria Florido
- Mactan Shrine – The Mactan Shrine is located in Mactan Island. It is dedicated in honor of Lapu-Lapu, Ferdinand Magellan, and the Battle of Mactan that was happened during 1521.
- Temple of Leah – This temple was built in 2012 as a symbol of the undying and unconditional love of Teodorico Soriano Adarna to his wife Leah for 53 years.
- TOPs – Located at Brgy. Malubog, Busay, Cebu City which offers a fascinating panoramic view of Cebu City and of its neighboring islands, Mactan and Olango. Perfect time to visit is during night time, the view is so stunning and beautiful.
- Sirao Flower Farm – Sirao Flower Farm or also known as “Mini-Amsterdam” of Cebu is situated in a mountain barangay of Cebu City. A huge part of the farm is filled mostly with brightly colored Celosia flowers which gives an incredible floral display along with the various flowering plants in the area.
Make sure you include most of the places here on your twin city tour adventure! You will totally feel refreshed and you will absolutely not regret on spending your time and money on going to these places while you’re in Cebu City or Lapu-Lapu City!